Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Happiness Infusion

Sean and I just celebrated our 3rd anniversary!  I still can't believe that it's already been that long; we've truly come a long way and have definitely grown together.  Like I mentioned before, I met Sean my senior year in high school.  I was just wrapping up a musical I was in and we were having a cast party at the TGI Fridays when a young guy at the bar with gorgeous eyes decided to follow my friends and I out of the restaurant and ask me for my number.  That was over 7 years ago and here we are today!
 Relationships are hard.  They're challenging.  They force you to face things you may not necessarily want to face.  I mean I have a pretty difficult time breaking bad habits that I have as much as the next person.  But, that's the beauty of it.  I keep telling people, if you don't fight occasionally, there might be something wrong.  You aren't allowing yourself to be 100% vulnerable.  Besides, it's a challenge.  I love the opportunity to have an occasional sparring match and let my sass run wild... ;)  It keeps life interesting and as long as you can end it, (hopefully with some constructive progress) with a hug, a kiss, and maybe, - if he's lucky- ;) that other thing I won't mention in attempt to keep this entry "G Rated,"  you're growing.

Anyway, back to our 3rd anniversary...Due to the fact that we had my 2nd sonogram for the Clomid on the Thursday before our vacation,  we held off on making any permanent plans.  We always save up to go somewhere every year just to escape it all.  On Sunday night we decided to go visit my grandparents up at Pinecrest Lake and go camping for a few days.


It was nice to visit and in the middle of the trip (despite the drought) there was a pretty intense thunder and lightening storm and my goodness did it pour!  We stayed for a few days, put our feet in the water and enjoyed the lack of cellular service, nature, and fresh air.

By Tuesday, we decided it was time to go and just decided to drive.  We'd thrown around a couple of ideas, but were still unsure about how far we wanted to go and how much money we were willing to spend.  Ever since we were engaged in Disneyland 5 years ago, we've made it a habit to go back every year since.  (With the exception of our honeymoon)  What can I say?  We couldn't resist, and to LA we went!  We had no reservations, no tickets, so clearly it was the genius choice.  I called to see if there were rooms to stay for a night on the way down and most of the hotels in the area were completely SOLD OUT.

We ended up staying with Sean's brother and his girlfriend Kelly for that night (thank goodness) and took off toward the park super early the next morning.  We ended up getting stuck in the parking garage (we got there at 6:45 and they don't open til 7:30) and who knew?  The garage was one way and there was literally no way out.  It was the perfect time to realize that I had to use the restroom and ended up having to trek across huge empty lots in order to find a bathroom.

After my 5 year old "potty emergency," I decided to book it over to the Disneyland Hotel to try our luck while Sean found a parking spot.  I made my way up to the front desk, let them know it was our anniversary and begged to know if they by any chance had a room available.  It turned out, they had ONE room available.  It turns out, they were holding a convention that week, so the park would not be as packed as we originally thought.  To top it off, the wonderful lady behind the counter insisted that we were "with the convention" and gave us discounted 2-day park hopper tickets for about $75 less each than we would have paid for normal rate.  Score =)

We enjoyed 2 days in the park.  They ended up upgrading our room for us for our anniversary to a downtown Disney view on the sixth floor where we were able to watch both Fantasmic and World of Color from our room.  We ate at the Carnation Cafe on main street in Disneyland and were seated at the hostesses "favorite table" under the round gazebo.  To top it off, our very first ride that first morning was on Pirates of the Caribbean in our very own boat!  We watched the parades, ate the delicious dole pineapple soft serve, visited the hitch hiking ghosts in the Haunted Mansion, took not one, but two! rides in Radiator Springs and more.  The second evening, Dustin and Kelly met us in the park where we rode some of the rides Dustin was experiencing for the first time.  It was a wonderful, relaxing anniversary trip!

My favorite moment was this:   I just have to share this because it's one of the cutest things I've ever experienced: Sean, Dustin, Kelly, and I were getting in line for the Radiator Springs Cars ride at California Adventure last night and we were walking toward the end of the line, when this little girl who was standing with her dad and some family, (probably around the age of 4 or 5) ran up to me. She was SO adorable and was wearing the Elsa from Frozen's Disney princess dress with her hair all braided back. She ran up to me with her book in hand, had the biggest smile on her face, and asked me excitedly to sign her autograph book. I was a little taken by surprise/confused, but asked her if she wanted me to sign my name in her book? I was a little hesitant at first, but her dad seemed to be fine with it, and she continued to insist. She was so excited and had the cutest little voice. She nodded smiling, so I wrote my name in the upper corner of one of the pages of her book and told her I loved her dress! She giggled and ran back to show her dad super excited and he looked up at me and said, "thank you, you just made her day." I watched her dance and sing through the rest of the line reminding me how beautiful life is through the eyes of a child....

I'm not sure what made her approach me, but I guarantee you that it was MY night that was made. It's a great story that I'll remember. (She will probably reminisce some day as an adult, come across the page and go, who in the heck is Merenda?) LOL

I love and admire the innocence and sheer joy that comes with youth. I remember how magical Disney was to me as a little girl and am thankful that it possesses the same magical qualities
To this day. 
Thank goodness for an occasional happiness infusion and making memories!

Here's to year four and hoping it bring tiny toes our way =)



No comments:

Post a Comment